Same here PapaJim.
About 9 months ago I got the upgrade itch. First I got a new receiver. I went from an open box sony w/o a remote to an Onkyo 601 (on sale for about $350 total). I then decided I need new speakers. So I read up on a whole slew of speakers, most of which were waaaay outside my price range.
I kept seeing two names that fit my price range. Axiom and Ascend. I auditioned the Axioms after reading a lot of positive reviews on hometheaterforum, avsforum, thespot, hometheaterspot. Even the negative reviews were more about personal preference than true shortcomings (at least as I read it). I had intended to also audition the Ascends, but they are just plain butt ugly and I am just metro enough to care. Plus I loved my M22s from the get go so I was hooked and stupidly happy.
I've also been just waiting for my younger brother to get his own place so I have an excuse to buy him his first pair. Same goes for the youngest sister.

jr

prostelitizing convert not salesman

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens