No sheets to the wind. No wind broken.

It's all I could do to make it through last week without hocking my children's college education. But I have been thinking about everything that has been said here. I think I'm convinced that I want to try the Ax speakers. I know (as does any self respecting geek) that you are all correct when you point out that speakers can make or break an entire system. I'm also about 85% convinced that I should get a higher end receiver than I would if left to my own devices.

But not being ready to plop down my entire load at once (as a geezer I've learned to pace myself in ALL things), now I'm wondering if I might get more immediate gratification by buying a pair of speakers FIRST. I listen to music every day, and those would start paying off right away. They should also be usable with an upgraded DVD system, whenever I do it. If I just get a new receiver now, outside of jerry-rigging my old hodge-podge of speakers into some kind of poor-man's 5.1 system, it would probably be a while before I made the next purchase, and by itself, I can't see a new receiver making that much difference. At least not like speakers would.

Am I thinking straight my brothers?