Been reading all morning now and I think I've hit data saturation point. My cross-over's are starting to blur into Bi-poles and it's all sounding like BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

And I guess you guys weren't kidding. I'm terrified. Looks like I gots to throw most of my stuff out and start over. It even looks like I'm might have to redesign my living room. And the wife and kids? They'll all have to go. They cost too much.

But being a self-respecting obsessive compulsive, I'm having to fight that primal urge that tells me to run down to BestBuy and just buy it all right NOW! Must control urges. Must survive. Must have better sounds. (man it's crowded in here)

But realistically, where do you start? Should I get a special receiver that has 5.1? Some of my existing speakers can be used in the new configuration until I can afford the specialzed bi-whatever surround thingees right? Right now I've got a decent sub-woofer wired directly to a "sub-woofer out" jack on my DVD player and it sounds really cool. Of course it ISN'T part of my audio stereo system. I have 2 bookshelf speakers wired to a standard stereo receiver that is JUST used for the DVD/Video sound. Those bookshelves sit on top of my much larger audio speakers that are used by another receiver dedicated to (you guessed it) just audio. And then there's another set of those big audio speakers in the remaining two corners of the room. Can I use some of that? Where do I start?

And another serious question: I actually ran some speaker wires under the carpet when we last got carpet installed, but there isn't a clean shot to half the room because of a door way coming into the living room. How do you run wires under the rug without demolishing the carpet? Why aren't speakers all wireless??????