In reply to:

Some songs sound great when played loudly, while other songs are harsh and painfull

Hawk, Have you taken an inventory? I have 4 CDs in my entire collection that sound waaaay too bright. The rest are fantastic. I'm just curious. I love my M60s. In particular I love how they perfectly reproduce cymbals, chimes, and jet engines The tweets are only spitting out what they are being fed. Why not get an EQ? Just run it in bypass until you need it. EQ the upper end down a little. How about the treble control? Just bump it back a bit.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think the folks that record and mix Hip Hop music are looking for the most accurate reproducion of each of the individual instruments on stage. With all that over emphasized bass, they surely have to boost the high end to allow it to be heard even just a litte. Read the sub forums. Too much sub can drown out the mids and highs. Proper playback fidelity requires a good balance between them all.

My theory: You don't have enough sub, or you need to calibrate the one you have better. You are cranking the hip hop really loud to get the "thump". Your M60s are doing a better job with the high end than whatever you are using for bass. Get the bass up higher, and you can you lower the mains to get the sound you are looking for. Also, the calibration of the sub drastically affects the way the rest of the speakers sound. If the sub is out of phase, cancellation can take frequencies away from what you hear, leaving only the "bright" stuff.

Something's got to be wrong.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.