thanks for the responses guys

All of the above reasons accounting for the unnaceptable brightness of the m60s are true.
I like everything from hip hop to classical and I don't use CD's but instead MP3s off of my HTPC. This is possibly a reason for the brightness(poor recordings plus loss of quality in the transfer).

Some songs sound greater then great, and a lot of them just hurt a lot at high volumes. Classical sounds great, while hip hop/R&B does not. It is true that hip hop/R&B records are recorded hot. Unfortunately I can not work around this and just not listen to a whole genre because it doesn't sound good on my speakers.

As for the treble, I always keep it below the middle, but they are still bright. The brightness(and the clarity) goes away when I turn the treble down almost all the way.

As for bass, I can't have enough. I currently have an STF-2 which barely gets the job done but it is enough for now. As a result I do turn up the volume on hip hop more then I do on rock or classical which compounds the problem.

Finally, my room is probably not the best for the m60s. My walls are wood panels. Fortunately, I will be moving my speakers from my parents house to my apartment when school starts which might alleviate the problem.

Bigwill-how much were the Monitor Audio Silver 6s/8s?

Once You Pop You Can't Stop