I see this thread is still active...and I just purchased an LG DV7832 (Canadian model...same as Zenith 318 in the US) on the weekend.

My initial impressions (keep in mind that I'm upgrading from a 5 yr old Sony progressive!!) are VERY positive. I connected to my LG DLP with the supplied DVI-D cable. Upconversion is a noticable improvement...especially the leap from 480p to 720p (720p to 1080i is not so noticable). So far, I've left it at 720p.

Watched "Ray" on the weekend...the first hour on the old Sony, then the rest on the new LG. There's a lot of dark scenes and did notice some black crush. But still better than before.

One HUGE improvement I noticed was the layer change. When the old Sony changed, sometimes I'd wonder if it had died (OK, OK, it was more that I'd WISHED it would die!!). On the LG, if the receiver display hadn't flashed from DOLBY DIGITAL to Neo: 6, I would never had known!! Boy, this 21st century stuff is the cat's a$$.

I still have to mess around it, though. I've found different firmware revisions to fix various problems (white crush being the most common). Even though I noticed the white crush, it certainly was a lot better than what I had before!!

And I want to compare the DVI output to the component output (supposedly, it upconverts even component output!). So I'll keep you guys posted.