Nothing to be embarrassed about. If by cheese connoisseur you mean a person who has tried lots of cheeses and remembers a few that he prefers, that's me. I've always enjoyed cheeses but really increased my intake a couple of years ago when I started a low carb diet. I started eating cheese for dessert, usually with a port wine and then tried a few other dessert wines. And I may have cheese like a Spanish Manchego, Asiago or a Dutch goat gouda with Chorizo or some other spicy sausage, or a chedder cheese with a burger, or I'll top a steak with any variety of blue cheese. But I think just about any cheese is great by itself.

Also, I'm fortunate to live across the street from a Whole Foods Store, which has a great selection of cheeses. I've tried many (maybe 2/3) of the ones they have. I can't think of any cheese that I dislike except maybe American slices, Cheese Whiz, and Velveeta cheese, but I think those really are petroleum products. I've had that Tillamook chedder, and I enjoyed it. Ireland, England and Canada have some very good chedder cheeses. I'd also recommend a California Jack cheese, not the Kraft Monterey Jack that you'll find in the local big box grocery chain. This one has an orange color and is very good by itself or would go well with a burger. I think the chedders and the Jack would be fine with beer.