Monk:

I have a pair of M80s and my music preferences are similar to yours -- I prefer classical and alternative rock myself. I listen to music in stereo only.

I would say the M80s (or maybe Axiom speakers in general) are quite good for classical music. They are revealing, generous in width and depth, and in the case of the M80s more than sufficient bass response (in fact, after I did a small tweak this weekend, I ended up with too much bass). The "harsh" treble that people complain about actually work in your favour as most classical recordings are quite laid back compared to rock recordings.

I use the M80s in a much smaller listening area will no ill effects -- I love the front-row-centre feeling. And it doesn't get much more front-row-centre than "listening" from the podium

As for amplification, most SS amplifiers would have no problems driving the M80s. In the 500-1000 dollar range you can pick from NAD, Rotel, Bryston, Adcom, Acurus, etc etc (just a few names that come to mind). Even a new CJ MF2250 can be had for around 1200.

Tube (integrated) amp choices may be a bit limited, but you can investigate either stock Jolidas or the Response Audio modified Joliads (RAM300?).

Good luck