Wow! I have a SS Amp and speakers by Kenwood that are over thirty years old and also decided its time to upgrade. I've been through all the same trials and listening sessions that you have and probably more. Nearly made similar decisions about equipment too. My room size is also close to yours at 14/25. Fortunately, no direction from the wife to make a decision and we're not moving.

I finally decided for myself. I had auditioned so many speakers over the last several months - burnout was setting in. So I took a break for a couple of weeks to review all of my efforts. I was able to eliminate certain brands from my search because of sound, $$$ per value, reviews, etc. However, Axiom kept coming back in the picture but I had not heard them. Well, I went to Toronto last week and made the rounds of a few Axiom dealers. Tuesday, I ordered the M80s, VP150, QS8s, and a pair of M3s for the back. The same day I ordered (on back-order)the PB1-ISD from SVS. In January we purchased an Onkyo TX-SR800 at a great price from CC which will drive the system. Great A/V Amp.; 4 ohm rated; very reliable; and totally under-rated (my opinion). Like all of them - it has more bell / whistles than I'll ever figure out how to use.

I chose the M80s over the M60s because they had a nice mid and bass quality and did not have the nasil sound that I heard in the M60s. It is basically the same reason I chose the M3s in the rear over the M22s. Not very scientific but it works for me.

Total System Investment less than $3400 US - not too shabby

Anyway, I hope I'm around another 30+ years so I can replace this equipment. By the way, my trip to Canada wasn't just to audition Axioms - my daughter and grandkids live there.

Good Luck in your search - I'm outa here.