soft clipping on and off.....no difference.

keep in mind that my Carver preamp in it's day was 1799 Canadian.

This is where i get lost as to what to do next. I am more experienced with seperates and not digital receivers. If what you guys say is true, and I'm sure it is, but no yamaha, denon, any receiver short of rotel and better is going to be any better then this nad. Rotel is $$$ for this kind of power/.

As far as power is concerned.....that is a non-issue with this nad. Sound is the problem(or at least mine), and everyone has a different opinion of what is good. There has never been anyone that walked into my home and thought they have ever heard a better "sounding" stereo without getting into insane amounts of money at least. I had something special with the Carver combo i think.

In an ideal world, i would have the multiple receivers here all at once, trying them all. But, my world ain't ideal.

any other suggestions, pass them along. I think I tried everything, but outside of hidden menu's somewhere....there's nothing left. Cables are all 12awg too. I even tried some 14's. Speaker cables are only at best 6' away from amp anyways.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12