Those of us in the drawing have been fantasizing a little over the idea of getting a butt-kicking sub, so maybe it's a good time to ask this:

Has anyone directly compared a 500 to a 350?

I bought my system with a 350, as the 500 did not become available for a few months after my purchase. Sometimes I've wondered if the 500 would have been a serious step-up or not and I've sometimes wondered about replacing my 350 with the 500 (The 600 in my 13' square room would be pretty serious overkill I believe!)

I comparing the subs in the pop-up comparison chart, the 500 doesn't seem like it would be that much more capable:

* The sizes are virtually identical (500 is just a few inches deeper)
* The 500 does offer a 500-watt amp in comparison to the 200 watts on the 350
* The 500 offers 2db more output (both anechoic and "room" responses)
* The 500 goes to 20Hz in comparison to the 28Hz offered by the 350 on the +/- 3db spec (This is the only significant difference I see in the specs)

Certainly, the 500 offers more in terms of features with a better amp design, balanced inputs, etc. But on paper, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

Is this one of those situations where the specs on the page don't tell the whole story and in real-world situations, the 500 completely trounces the 350?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::