I did some research through the forums to help me make my decision whether to go with the standard EP350 or opt for the EP500. Honestly, I didn't really find negative comments about either one (except for price) but one thing that came out were all the questions just like the one in this thread. The fact that EP350 owners were questioning about whether or not to upgrade was my deciding factor to go with the EP500. I have not been disappointed. The sub blew my Velodyne off the carpet. This is my third complete home theatre system upgrade and it is most satisfying. In fact I dare say it will even be my last. It's like getting behind the wheel of 60's muscle car. A desire to upgrade my main system is not even on my list of things to do anymore. It's that good. I have my volume limit on my main amp set to "75" (it peaks around 120). At 75 I have to yell into the person's ear next to me to be heard. The sub is so strong it knocks (vibrates) nick-knacks off the shelves (in the kitchen). After tuning in the surrounds (which did take some work) I went to place the EP500. The very first place I set it is where it still is. The only problem I had was something to do with a 60 Hz hum because it was on a different circuit from the amp. I fixed that by running a 10ga extension back to the main power strip.

I made 3-5 trips per week to area "audiophile” type places (not Fry’s or Best Buy) over 2 months before I made a decision. The runner up was $4K Velodyne so this was a no-brainer (the closest main speakers were $5500/pr, ouch!). There are plenty of strong subs on the market but the EP500 is clean and pure and the punch is effortless. I don’t have the question anymore of whether it needs to be louder. After finishing a DVD like “Ray” I’m literally sitting back in awe. I'm glad I made the upgrade to the EP500. Not only is immensely satisfying, the look and feel match too. As far as physical volume, it's big enough. Any larger it would take the place of a piece of furniture.

Main M80ti (2)
Cent VP150
Surr QS8 (4)
Sub EP500
Onkyo TX-NR801
Mitsubishi 62” HD-DLP
Seating 7pc leather home theatre recliners

Last edited by snazytexan; 07/28/05 02:09 AM.