To nobody in particular,

I bought a 2nd generation iPod in the Summer of 2002. I paid $299 for the ten gig model and since then have added about 700 of my favorite songs. Make that all my favorite songs. I didn't add my entire library since if I skipped past it on a CD, why add it to my iPod.

I used to take a few CD's to the gym with me for working out. I began taking my iPod which had all my favorite music available at my fingertips. I soon bought a new receiver for my truck with a 1/8" plug on the front. Now I had all my music available in my truck all the time. Once you get used to not having to switch out CD's you won't go back.

Well my beloved 10 gig iPod finally developed a problem I couldn't resolve. The headphone jack no longer transmitted sound properly. I cleaned it like I had many times before, all to no avail.

Well my new AVR240 receiver happens to support the dock feature on newer iPods. It isn't just about playing my iPod over my awesome axioms as I could do that with a 1/8" to RCA adapter. It is the way it works. The dock bypasses any amplification from the iPod and also allows the remote for the AVR240 to control all iPod functions with the iPods menus displayed on the receiver.

So with my old iPod not functioning properly, last night I bought a new 4 GB iPod Nano. With my current iPod only using 2.5 gigs, I figure I should be good for at least a couple more years.

With regard to sound quality, if I playback a good AAC compressed song over my AVR 240 receiver, it sounds as good on my Axioms as the original 44.1 CD did.

Basically the iPod is functional and cool for many people.

Greg

Last edited by GregM; 12/20/05 08:50 PM.