Speaking of lamp cord, I located this instruction on DIY and have read some pretty good feedbacks:
"The cable I chose and which performs so well comes in a variety of jacket colors - I used red and white. On the outside of the jacket is the following: "E51583 (UL) AWG6 CU TYPE MTW OR THWN-2 OR THHN GASOLINE AND OIL RESISTANT II OR AWM 600 VOLTS VW1". It's a 19 strand cable, with the internal wires having at least two different gauges (maybe more).
"Construction. For each speaker side you'll need two sections of the above cable. I used the red jacketed cable for the positive and the white for the return. With the red (pos), I ran the cable in the direction of the writing on the outside (reads from the amp to the speaker). On the white return (neg), I ran the lettering in the opposite direction (reads from the speaker to the amp). Then I put a very gentle twist on the cables of about 9 twists for the eight foot pair that I built. Repeat for the other speaker. Spades? Because the cable is 6 awg, they are pretty thick. I didn't have spades on hand with eyelets large enough to accommodate the diameter of the cable, so I trimmed it down a bit while spreading the eyelet open a little. When it all came together, I soldered it up and forgot about it. Don't sweat the kind of spades to use - it isn't going to make a huge difference anyway. After all this, you may find out that the cables sound better reversed - no problem, try anything you desire. Break-in takes a while. But, don't get crazy worrying about it. Let everything play out and you'll ultimately be happy. It has been observed that direction of the wire varies depending on location it is purchased - try it both ways just to be sure.
"This is an especially effective solution for systems using high power amplifiers into 4 Ohm loudspeakers. Don't think, however, that this cable will only work with one amp and one speaker - it will work with everything. Try it, the best speaker cables you may ever need may cost you about fifty bucks."