Kind of a multiple part thread, so here goes...

I still don't have my speakers yet (custom M60s), but I expect with the recent price increase there was probably quite a jump in demand on the last couple weeks before the increase.

But, with my current setup, sometimes I hear "clicks" when listening to CDs. I have found myself doing more "critical" listening lately than casual listening when tweaking my setup. When I hear one, first thing that pops into my mind "crap, my avr is popping", or "maybe the fridgerator came on", etc. But when I rewind the song and listen again, there it is; same pop, in the same spot.

I hear almost everyone reguard Axiom speakers as "unforviging of poor recordings", but can't really find any specifics as to what that means. I guess I anticipate it meaning more "detailed" in the sense that a HD TV with its higher resolution will be more unforgiving of SD source material as compared to SD source material viewed on a SDTV.
In that reguard, I am a little nervous, as I have seen it more than once, someone spends big bucks on a fancy new HiDef TV, only to be severely dissapointed in the picture quality when viewing lesser than HD sources.

But, back to the reason for my post...Since I can't find an exact definition to how the Axiom speakers are unforgiving of bad source material, I am left to wonder, are these pops I am hearing what is meant, or is it just more along the lines of more detailed (more "resolution" if you will)? I am not audiophile, but have seen reference to being able to hear "hiss", whereas will lesser revealing speakers, you don't. This doesn't bother me AT ALL. I grew up with the cassette, so I am all too familiar with tape hiss, which was exaserbated by my tendacy to boost the high freqs. with EQ in days gone by. But my personal preference is to have a strong detailed high end, even if it reveals source limitations, that have a laid back high end which masks them.

And lastly, working in radio, I am all TOO familiar with how wildly different the levels and mix can be from one CD to another, but...

I am starting to wonder...Is there such a thing as a defective CD?

On those disc I hear "pops" in, its not my setup, as I tried in both my CD and DVD player, the car, etc, and I can always hear them, always in the same spot in the recording.

So I guess I am left wondering, are these "in the mix", or is the CD defective?

-Alan

Last edited by FirebirdTN; 02/21/06 01:50 PM.