Dan - I was in Boston (and also parts west) a couple times 5-6 years ago. What struck me was the lack of "samplers" even at craft breweries. Somebody explained to me that it was illegal to have more than one beverage in front of you at the same time. Baffling. The draught gallons-to-go at Strauss are nice, but make me tend to drink a bit too much.

Sushi - It's rare to find a true, Bavarian Hefeweizen. The American palate (and wallet) does not seem to respond favorably to that lovely, rich, clovey Weiheinstephan yeast strain. I love it. I don't much favor the dumbed-down american wheat beers (like Widmer).

Craft beer overall was more fun for me 10-15 years ago; many small breweries have succumbed to market forces by making more mainstream beers or literally selling out. But it is a great blessing to have good beer widely available.

Are any of you (especially our Canadian friends) familiar with the beers of Unibroue? They make fantastic, Belgian-style beer in Quebec. Just great. Love their Fin du Monde ("The end of the world") - strong, spicy, rich, effervescent. I should probably start a beer thread somewhere more appropriate....

bibere usque ad hilaritatem