Thanks to everyone for their input so far. I've already come to the conclusion that THX Select2 isn't a big deal to me, since it partly depends on whether a company chooses to pay for the certification process. I can see why some companies may not choose to pursue it for their midrange receivers, even if they might qualify. I've noticed, though, that everyone goes for the Ultra2 certification for their high-end receivers, but those are well out of my price range anyways.

The main feature I'm trying to decide on is whether I want/need the AV receiver to have video upscaling. While many DVD players have their own scalers, a significant portion of my media time will be spent video gaming, and the PS2 and GC only output at 480i/p. So, the Pioneers and Yamahas look appealing b/c they provide upscaling in the $1500ish price range, while Denons and HK's don't (as best as I can tell).

Quote:

Hey man, we need to talk about speakers for you, not AVRs.

Unfortunately, as I've mentioned in other threads, I'm in the process of building a house and probably about 9 months away from buying any speakers. So, I'm passing the time by trying to learn about different aspects of mid/high-end A/V equipment since I've never owned any. I've been reading a ton on this and other sites, though I post some of my questions here b/c some forums can be a little immature at times (without naming any acronyms ...)

In terms of speakers, I've narrowed my choice down to either Axioms or Rockets. From what I've read, I'm sure I'll really like both brands, but I'll have to wait until I can audition them in my own house. So, I can't contribute much to the speaker discussions since I don't own any good ones. It's also why I'm posting questions and starting threads, I hope it doesn't become too annoying.