I’m in agreement with Bug…

Knowing what I know today, which is very little actually, but still more than what I know three years ago, I’d stick with separates and keep the video processing out of the audio gear.

I’d look at the mid-fi lines such as Rotel, Nad and Parasound. I’d buy the pre amp / processor that fit my needs and then buy two amps. One five channel amp with around 50 watts / channel and one two channel amp with around 200 watts / channel. Or, buy a lower priced AVR with the bells / whistles I’m looking for and use an outboard two channel or three channel amp for the mains and center. The back and surround channels don’t need much, so the cheap AVR would probably drive them just fine. Some of the Yamies, Pioneers and HK’s would work just fine for this.

I’d also make sure that the pre/pro had NO video processing / switching and I’d put my money into a good external video processor. Within the next six months there will be many new video processors on the market as the big three chip manufactures are all running to release their new chips. No AVR, DVD player, TV, or Projector can compete with the stand alone VP’s. They all get second, third or fourth generation chips. Another good reason to wait and keep the video processing out of the AVR is that HDMI 1.3 is just now hitting the streets. 1.3 is the newest, latest greatest standard and with it comes with a lot improvements over 1.1. Some of the new VP’s already have it, but again, it’s still new so many do not.