Quote:

Sure, you can play it in your CD player, and maybe you even get some pseudo stereo added in with the decompression engine, but the quality can't possibly get any better than the source 96k mono mp3.

I'm with DW and JohnK on this.
I've seen two "upscaling" dvdps and there was virtually NO change at all. The increased resolution pictures actually just looked more grainy like someone over applied sharpness in Corel Photopaint to an image and that is something which is not "better", different sure, but definitely not "higher resolution".

One cannot make more pixels out of less except by using algorithms to assume what might be in the missing pixel places. You can certainly "make up" the 720p from 480, but it is not going to look like a true 720 signal which has EVERY pixel filled in from the original visual source. Perhaps there is a DSP out there that really is good at this and i haven't seen it yet, let alone any good in-store demos where they "try" to show you this.

Until then, garbage in, garbage out applies.

Now upconversion with the receiver outs can be handy by plugging in 2 or 3 sources of component cable sources so you can switch b/w them using only the receiver.

Last edited by chesseroo; 08/09/06 02:50 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."