Quote:

I'd like to see more technically advanced Axiom products come to market,

Umm, the DSP onboard the new Axiom subs were Axiom designed and then programmed with months if not years of efforts by Jim, an Axiom tech guru whose programming expertise is obviously very good. Call me crazy but designing and programming computer chips is considered cutting edge technology and not expensive, if you have the time to do it (DSPs on modern receivers are virtually a couple of bucks per unit these days).

I watched Jim during this building process for the prototype EP600. He had dozens of sheets of programming code to work through, tweaking each individual Hz until the DSP made the driver work in producing an equal peak (flat response) across the sub range. This would have been followed by testing in the anechoic chambers followed by more tweaking. Since this specific code would ONLY work for a single speaker design (change the cabinet, change the acoustics), the same had to be done all over again for the EP600. Jim has probably coded near half of the Windows XP OS in his DSP programming of the EP subs.
The result?
The EP500 has less than a TWO DECIBEL variation from the average across the 20-95Hz spectrum!! This is phenomenal and better than the reproduction i've seen with parametric EQs and DEFINES the most accurate sound reproduction possible (a straight line frequency response)!!

Creating a speaker with a flat response is NOT an easy feat (if it were then everyone would have made one by now), if not impossible without advanced DSPs to control the output; so to say that Axiom DSP technology is not advanced, is somewhat off the mark, no?
Many audio components are simple things like copper wire and analog signals. Many more "technically advanced" (e.g. digital speakers which you plug into a wall) are not exactly audio bliss. Sticking a new fangled miniature plasma screen on the side of a speaker with touch screen controls for a whopping 8 band EQ to say it is more technically advanced does not make a good speaker.
Have a look at the extensive and advanced research that Axiom does in the course of creating and tweaking their speakers over the decades. The appreciation of this work comes from reading about it and seeing it first hand, something that many audiophiles never take the time to do.

Last edited by chesseroo; 08/08/06 03:41 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."