Quote:

Looks like the speaker question is answered, thanks for all the input. Now the TV. The great debate Plasma vs. LCD. Since this is going in the family room with a lot of light, I thought plasma. I read many posts and it appears many of you like the Panny's. I was thinking about the 50 or 58" Panny. Is the Pioneer elite worth the money?

How bright is that room? Is it sunlight?

Generally, Plasma color richness will prevail in rooms with lower lighting, while LCDs will be better in brightly lit rooms due to their inherent anti-glare technology.

My Uncle has a 2 year old 42" Panasonic. I have a 46" 1080p Samsung LCD. The color on the Samsung is at least as good as the Panasonic. The picture is significantly sharper on the Samsung.

If your pouring $2000+ into a TV and plan on using it for a while, you really should get a 1080p set. I don't see any 50" 1080p Panasonic plasmas. I think their smallest 1080p model is their 65" model. Pioneer has some 1080p 50" models.

The contrast ratio on the Samsung and Sony LCDs is at 6000:1 whereas it's 10,000:1 on plasmas. Clearly Plasma has richer blacks but the gap is a lot closer than it used to be.