I am using the sony pearl SXRD front projector on a 106" screen. The OPPO creates a great picture, but I wished I had the 981H, since it upconverts to 1080p which my display will handle, and it also transmit the auido via HDMI (which the 971H will not)

I have only watched a couple of standard def DVD on the PS3, but the quality was only slightly below the Oppo. One important difference is that at this point the PS3 is only progressively scanned and output at 480p. It has been discussed, but not announced, that the PS3 would get a firmware upgrade in the future that would allow for upconverting standard def DVD's. Firmware upgrades are simple to do with the PS3.

I would go ahead and get the PS3. It is an above average DVD player with the added benefit of being a good gaming system and top-of-the-line Blu-ray player. It is likely that it will be able to upconvert in the near future. After watching several Blu-ray discs, you will forget about your old DVD's anyway.

m80, vp150, ep500, qs8 (2 pair), m3 (presence) Yamaha v2700, Sony Pearl, PS3, Oppo971H