>>oscilloscope>>

Wow, never seen that word before, I think its a little out of my price range just to find out if the 4ohm load is ok (>$300).

I was thinking about playing some music through all the 5 speakers, cranking it up really loud and seeing if the centre channel distorts/clips at all. I already tested this method yesterday, but no louder than -20db.

The problem with that is that there is so much noise everywhere it would be hard to determine if the centre channel is indeed clipping.

So if there was a problem...I would hear the speakers coming in and out right? I also didn't notice any excessive heat coming from the amp after 2 hours of Dolby Digital 5.1 content at -30 db.

EDIT: Was just reading on AVS' RX-V659 thread, a user is using 2 surround channels that are 4ohm and only noted that the amp got pretty warm but not excessivly hot, and he didn't notice any distortion when watching a dts movie.

Seeing as I will only have one 4ohm load (even though the center is used more than the surrounds) I think the 659 can handle it. I am quite amazed at the speakers that this budget receiver can drive. I am probably going to watch a familiar movie tonite (or bits and pieces anyway) to determine for sure.

Last edited by Hutzal; 02/02/07 11:21 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com