Quote:

Yes, you are absolutely correct!!!!

However, there ought to be some metrics on how much power the fronts, surrounds, and rear surrouds take on different types of music at different listening levels.

For example, if the fronts take 1 watt, then I would expect that the surrounds would take 1/4 watt or something like that.

It should not be that difficult for a major company to put scopes or peak reading power meters on all speakers and see what the readings are.

Why would the surrounds only take 1/4 of a watt if the front takes 1 watt? They will take what ever they need to send out the sound to the proper calibrated level. The amount a speaker takes depends on the level commanded by the source. If the front is 1 watt then the same sound source through your surrounds would be 1 watt, if all the speaker settings are the same.

Or are you wondering about adjusted speaker levels and the fact that the rears might be adjusted to output, say 3db higher to achieve 75db at main listening spot. In this case I know there is a formula to go from db to watts,(something like 10watts per decibel). Then using my made up formula, the extra wattage needed for the +3db speaker is somewhere near 30 watts more power needed.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70