>>If this is strictly an HT and you are on a limited budget, the M50's are a good choice. If you will listen to music more often and have the extra cash, the M60's would be a nicer choice due to the midrange driver giving extra clarity in that band.

I know it's going against the herd, but I would almost argue the other way round. M60s will definitely give that list bit of extra clarity, but put bluntly a lot of popular music recordings seem to be mixed for crappy systems.

If I were looking for a 50/50 system I think I would give 50s and VP150 a try. Right now I have 60s and VP100 -- I'm very happy with both but I do end up using my M40s for most pop music recordings. They're not as accurate as the 60s but I think they are probably closer to what the mix guy used.

For jazz the 60s rule. I don't have enough good classical recordings on CD to comment -- but I do have a few hundred top quality classical recordings on vinyl which I need to haul up to the new house one day.

Bottom line is that on great recordings the 60s will be better and on average recordings the 50s will be better. What kind of music do you listen to the most ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8