Thank you very much for the very interesting article.

I'm very hesitant to add artificial sound treatments in my "bright" room because I am very happy with the imaging, soundstage and expansiveness of the sound. I was not happy with it however before I added my present furnishings (as sparse as they may be) because it was very reverberant.

I have to admit however that when I experimented with "corner treatments" (consisting of blankets, carpet roll, etc), I noticed an improvement in the "tightness" and volume of bass without any audible influence on all of the other factors that I mentioned above.

I've also found that speaker toe-in makes a remarkable difference in my room. If they are not toed in, I still get decent imaging but the soundstage becomes flat even on an exceptional recording like Mark Knopfler's The Ragpicker's Dream. The highs also become less distinct.

I'd have to conclude from this that toe-in and corner treatments are very worthwhile avenues to explore for improved acoustics. Also, experiment with furnishings and surface coverings before moving to more "formal" acoustic treatments.