Quote:

From a conversation standpoint, the room feels much better -- less like an auditorium. It's more "hushed" and intimate feeling. However the stereo imaging isn't nearly as clean as the unfurnished room.

Room acoustics is a tricky area. Just adding a bunch of treatment doesn't guarantee improvement and may even worsen the situation.

Absolutely, well said.
Reflections form an integral part of how we hear.
At the present time our HT has only the usual suspects for controlling sound, however to purposely breakup the square corners, the room was designed with a varying internal 'architecture' to help offset the typical 90 degrees found in a common room.
The sound is truly stellar and although the echo is lowered from the games area outside, there is still echo in the room (frequency graphs of the listening positions pending...the day i get a laptop).

Very soon we will have some theatre curtains hanging over the glass french doors and i'm a bit concerned that it might take away too much more. I plan on doing tests before and after to see if i can hear the effect.
The plus about this setup is that i can actually do it blind. If i am blindfolded, i can have someone open and close the curtains (quietly) during some music playback and see if i can detect any difference, never knowing if they are open or closed. This can be alot harder a thing to accomplish if someone were to plaster their walls with acoustic panels and then try to hear an A/B difference with them on or off.
It might be doable if they had alot of friends i suppose but then the increased number of bodies and mass could also play a role in the sound refractions.
{sigh}
So hard to eliminate all the variables all the time.
Ah well.
Keep hackin away...

Speaking of the HT room, i just noticed that our newest config is not on the Wall o Fame.
I will have to post a more permanent link to the pics perhaps and send some into Amie.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/06/07 11:55 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."