Well, I have an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CDP from Upscale Audio. I upgraded it with Ediswan tubes, noticeable difference in sound quality. I modified it with an Upsampler. Noticeable difference in sound quality.

I never got a chance to modify my Philips SACD 1000 because Philips stopped supporting the product. I modified many speakers - tweaked the cross-overs, upgraded the caps and resistors, etc. My Frankencenters (thanks PMBKO) are heavily modded and with new Axiom drivers and a Reference 3a de capo tweeter it certainly sounds very different from the original Merak kit. Different and MUCH better.

I modded a few pairs of Michaura M55s, very much like the Axiom M22s (same 5.25" drivers and the 3/4" titanium tweeter from the Mzero, M2Ti speakers) - a gorgeous Rose Wood hex shaped anti standing wave solid as a rock cabinet. I replaced the cap with some Jensen paper oils, the resistor with a Mills, and removed the fuse. How does it sound? Well, I brought a pair over to Big Will and we swapped out his beautiful M60s. I thought the M55s sounded as good as the wonderful M60s did. In my system, I ran these speakers with an Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT 5 wpc SET tube amp, the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb. The sound stage was huge, high, wide and deep. Imaging was spot on. I enjoyed a wall-of-sound experience which was spectacular. The stock M55s are wonderful sounding speakers, but it doesn't take long to hear the difference.

Have to go now. There is a world of modified and tweaked components out there. I have a little experience with a few. Hope it helped.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.