Let me get this this straight.. you are running the Axiom M80's (which say they need a minimum wattage of 10W) with 2.3 watts of power from the Sony Boombox? I would have to think that dynamics, bass frequencies and overall clarity would be greatly diminished.

Also, about the reference to the HK 7300; it is about a $1000 unit right now (was more expensive earlier when it was produced). I do not believe it is being made at this time and has not been made for about 2 yrs. It hasn't been on my dealer list for 2 yrs, nor is it on the HK website. This is a substantially more expensive receiver than my modified piece and I would likely take a guess does not sound as good even a stock unit of the HK 3485. The electronic components inside the HK units have changed in the last few years. For instance, the HK 3480 that was reviewed (which at the time was current) has been replaced by the HK 3485. The HK 3485 is clearer, is more dynamic, with more precise bass, and better location and "airy" highs. It has the same amount of wattage, but defintely seems to have better electronics.

Rick Sean