Fascinating responses I have been reading. Basically, what I am hearing is that as long as the wattage is appropriate for the speakers you are driving, it doesn’t matter what type of equipment you have. Interesting way of looking at things, considering that all players and receivers, not to mention speakers, have different inherent sound characteristics. Although, from some of your comments, I would assume that some of you just look at the price tag and wattage and as long as the unit plays music, you call that good, and discount any sound difference that you hear between brands as being “wishful hearing.” You can try to convince yourself all you want about how speakers other units that have certain advantageous measurements should all sound great, but the truth of the matter is that not everything that measures out well, will sound great. I’ve listened to many speakers that ficticiously went down to 20-17 hz, but I would say they were lucky to go down to 50 hz maybe. These speakers were from a number of major high-end manufacturers btw. Measurements are good, but unless the unit or speakers sound good when you listen to it, then it is meaningless. Many high-end pieces and speakers measure out great, but then you listen to them and realize that some cheaper pieces of equipment actually sound better to your ears. In all honesty, what your own ears hear is what matters. Will a person buy something that measures out very nicely on paper, but to their own ears sounds terrible? I think not.

I do acknowledge that there are plenty of tweaks out there that may or may not work. Much of it will have to do with a person’s system, as they are often meant to fix certain deficiencies. And some will be downright snake oil. Other tweaks will be too complex and ridiculously elaborate, and yet only offer minimal benefit. And, as I have stated before, many high-end manufacturers produce equipment that may cost quite a bit more, but in reality does not sound a lot better (if at all) than many cheaper manufacturers, which I believe is part of why the high-end audio is shrinking. If you want measurements for my modified HK 3480, they are on that review, but I would hope that some of you would let your ears hear the difference and not fool yourself into thinking that all equipment sounds the same and differences in sound are just an illusion.

Sean and Rick