Quote:

In short, it's a very personal preference. The M2s and M22s are more linear than the M3s. Some people prefer less linear. I've heard M3s, M22s, M50s (own), M60s, and M80s (own). I prefer the M80s and M3s. Of course, I never heard the M3s directly compared to the M22s, and I've never heard the M2s at all. Generally, the Axiom line is said to be split into two: M3s and M50s and M2s, M22s, M60s, and M80s. The M80s and M3s (and M50s) certainly had different characteristics, but the M3s are really fantastic speakers.

That said, when I first heard M22s, it was (a tad hyperbolic here) a revelation. Amazing speakers.

Yes, clearly personal preferences as between speakers is a matter of well ... personal preference.

As to whether the M2s are more 'linear' than the M3s, that I don't know about, and am not certain that it has anything whatsoever to do with sound quality. The M3s sound 'richer,' 'fuller,' more like live music - the M2s sound thinner. Does that make the M2s more linear? If so, then linearity is not a positive value. Clearly, a flat frequency response curve in an anachoic chamber is a good thing ... especially for those who live in anachoic chambers. In the real world setting of the rooms in which I have placed both M3s and M2s, the M3s sound more like live music, to me. Clearly, this is a subjective call and your opinions may differ.

Dunno about linearity.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.