I need some clarification about what I'm wanting to do with my audio cables between my DVD player, TV and processor. I'll try to make it short and crisp but here is what I want to do and what my thinking is:
1. I want to run a HDMI cable from my HD DVD player directly to my TV. I want this for the video, not necessarily the audio.
2. The audio out from the TV to the processor will be a Toslink cable.
3. I also have an audio Toslink cable run directly from the DVD player to the processor.

I want the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV for video. I want the Toslink from the DVD to the processor for audio. To me, running the audio through the HDMI to the TV, having the TV process the audio and then running the audio through the toslink from the TV to the processor will diminish the clarity. I think direct runs are the best way but that's just my personal opinion.
1. Will this even work this way?
2. Will the audio through the HDMI to the TV and back to the processor through the toslink override the audio directly through the toslink between the DVD player and processor.

If I had DVI connections, that would solve my problem. I guess my main concern is that I'll get better audio directly between the DVD player and processor than by going between the DVD, TV and back to the processor. I can drop the toslink cable between the DVD and processor but it seems that having the TV in the loop will diminish the clarity and quality of the audio. Does any of this make sense?