Let me try to clarify some things. Right now, I have a HD TV that is on cable with a cable card. I have the internal speakers on the TV muted and run the audio out to the receiver through a toslink. I have another toslink from my DVD player to the receiver so both the TV and DVD have direct audio to the receiver. I link the video from the DVD directly to the TV through component cables. Now, what I want to do is change out the component cable from the DVD to the TV and replace it with an HDMI cable, but I only care about the video. I still want the audio from the DVD to go directly to the receiver through the current toslink. My concern is this--Is it not true that the HDMI will carry the audio to the TV also. The TV will process the audio and then send it back to the receiver through the toslink. This is fine for the audio from the cable TV but I want the audio from my DVD to go direct to the reciever. My confusion is wondering if the audio in the DVD / TV/ receiver loop (HDMI-toslink) will override the audio directly from the DVD to the receiver. And, will the audio direct from the DVD to the receiver be crisper than running the audio from the DVD to the TV back to the receiver? Maybe I'm worrying about something that doesn't matter or doesn't make sense.

Last edited by cgolf; 08/09/07 03:21 PM.