Quote:

Since the 15dB peaks require 1A @120V, that's 120W. And if the amps are 70% efficient, that's 84W going into your two fronts and 36W heating your room.

So if at 85dB the power is P, at 100dB the power will be P + 84. 100dB requires 32 times the power compared to 85dB. So, P + 84 = 32P and solving for P gives 2.7W. So your nominal power is a few watts like I estimated before.

So when you get your Axioms, are you planning on an A/B test with the Bose?

Okay Mojo, now I needed time to decifier your data! Let me see if I understand:

Agreed...15db peaks require 32X the power level, from Any reference db point. However, determining the actual power output and for a given signal input at a reference room measured db level will be a total function of the speaker systems efficiency (or, sensitivity..what ever, you know what I mean, hehe)!

ex:
Sys A=85db\1 watt\1 meter. 1 watt to produce a nominal 85db, but 32 watts to produce the 15db peaks!
Sys B=80db\1 watt\1 meter. 3.2 watts to produce a nominal 85db, but 102.4 watts to produce the 15db peaks!
Sys C=90db\1 watt\1 meter. .34 watt to produce a nominal 85 db, but 10.7 watts to produce the 15db peaks!

You are right. Unless a speaker system was in the 70-75db efficiency range, then nominal power requirements are quite low. The cubes have no eff. rating (how convient), but I suspect they are closer to Sys A (85db)!

If I haven't sold the cubes before, they can be part of an a\b mix in an in-home shootout.

Thanks again for the power clarification!

Ted

Samsung 67" DLP 1080P * 2-Axiom EP500 PSW's * Emotiva UT Series Amps * Acoutimass 15's 5.1 = WOW!