There are a couple of new subwoofer companies that started in car audio but are now making subs for HT/ Music which are generating a lot of buzz for their excellent performance at relatively low prices. The aren't exactly beautiful, and they can be a little larger, so be sure to check dimensions to see if they would work for you.

The first sub I'd like to offer for consideration is the Elemental Designs (eD) A5-350 ($600)

Here are some subwoofer rankings by an enthusiast who is very knowledgeable. He makes it clear that these are merely his educated opinions, and are meant to be a help in narrowing down your choices, rather than recommendations or "the last word." As you can see, in his opinion, the A5-350 scores very well and goes for a reasonable price. Every 3 points represents a 15% increase in performance.

At the moment he is putting an Epik Valor ($549) through it's paces. His testing isn't complete yet, but he's reporting a below 20Hz frequency response, and has given a preliminary music score of 47 (virtually the same as the A5-350).

I think you would find either of these subwoofers to be excellent performers, and a heck of a bang for the buck.

DISCLAIMER: I have an Axiom EP500, and couldn't be happier with it. It is a fantastic performer.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton