Intensely compressed albums like Oasis' 1995 (What's the Story) Morning Glory? set a new bar for loudness; the songs were well-suited for bars, cars and other noisy environments.

This is what hit home to me.
I've ALWAYS thought this disc had alot of 'noise' on whatever system it was played. I liked the softer tunes but most of it provided ear fatigue. I just thought it was the music type but now i read this article and think more about the mixing of the sound.
It all makes sense.

Now and again a little Nickelback does this to me as well, but now and again i just like to crank up the noise and pick out the music in between.
Good tunes, poorly mastered.
Bastards.
\:\/

This quote does provide some amount of enthusiasm though:
"I find it quite interesting, and I think its instructive, that if you focus on one area of the music business — you could generally call it music for people over twenty-four — and you look at the last ten years and look at records that have come out of nowhere, that no one's putting any money behind and have takes off, the two things that come to mind are the Buena Vista Social Club and Norah Jones. And those records were made in the most old-fashioned ways you can imagine." — Joe Boyd, producer of several Richard Thompson albums and R.E.M.'s Fables of the Reconstruction

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/28/07 11:10 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."