Originally Posted By: RobH
I am very new to reentering the vinyl world and am using a relatively inexpensive turntable. From what i have heard so far, older vinyl can sound very good. Yes, some does sound better than the CD of the same title. You can get newer releases on vinyl, but they are somewhat costly. I am primarily interested in picking up used vinyl of older titles. This is plentiful and inexpensive (and generally sounds good).

I enjoy both CD and vinyl. The key, I believe, is in the mastering. Many CD's do sound great. There is a certain warmth, though, to vinyl that many find pleasing.

That sentiment is a common thread to people searching for the great dynamic range that has been lost in modern CDs. Earlier this year I dusted off my old Technics turntable, played some old vinyl and was amazed how good it sounded. It was enough for me to buy a new turntable/cartridge and dig out my old record collection. Classics and jazz never sounded this good on cds.

Yet there is hope. This quote in the article caught my eye.

"So is music doomed to keep sounding worse? Awareness of the problem is growing. The South by Southwest music festival recently featured a panel titled "Why Does Today's Music Sound Like Shit?" In August, a group of producers and engineers founded an organization called Turn Me Up!, which proposes to put stickers on CDs that meet high sonic standards."

John