Originally Posted By: CV
Yeah, I'm just curious if that is ever the case, where the dynamics aren't as compressed on vinyl versions of new music. Being that new vinyl releases seem mostly to exist as collector's items, I imagine there's no real difference in the mastering, but then, I don't really know what they have to do to transfer to vinyl.

In any case, since I listen to very little music that was recorded in the days of LPs, picking up a turntable wouldn't do me any good unless by some fluke some of these newer releases were ending up with greater dynamic range than their CD counterparts.

Right. As an example of the trend, last week I picked up the latest MOFI 180g release of the original Santana LP. One of the first things I did was compare it to the CD version. If range and soundstage are the criteria it wasn't even a close comparison. On the LP, the instruments were more distinct and airy and the nuances of the percussion were more prominent. A well recorded LP will always have greater range since it isn't limited by the 44.1kHz/ 16-bit resolution of a cd even assuming the engineer has not compressed the recording.

John