I gave away most of my LPs years ago but still have 500 or so lying around. Most of the 60s/70s rock classic LPs have been to too many parties to be playable today. Anyway, its the jazz/classical music LPs that stood up and are in good condition with the stuff recorded in the late 50s/early 60's generally having the best fidelity. The classics on RCA or Mercury Living Presence or the Decca Speaker series being among the best. The European recordings,especially British and French, are usually better sounding while the quality of the later Deutsche Grammophone records can be spotty.

Anyway,on this range issue, while LPs have a general advantage because of the way the original waveform gets transformed into the vinyl pressing, a well engineered cd (ie. uncompressed) can sound just as good. Diana Krall's "Best of" is a recent case in point. I have both the CD and the LP. Her stuff is very well recorded and its tough to discern much difference between the two formats though the LP seems more airy while the CD has a better soundstage... hard to say.

On the other hand, if the turntable being used rumbles or has an inferior cartridge, the LP is dirty or scratchy, overall sound quality will favour the CD every time despite the natural advantage that LPs have with dynamic range. Then there is the handy remote for restless types that like only several tunes on a release. In many respects practicalities still favour the CD/digital formats. But not when up against a great turntable/cartridge and pristine LP...

John