Originally Posted By: Mojo
Yes, I do. All of my speakers are set to small. Only God knows how many hundreds of hours I've spent tweaking.

If you have a DSP-based Axiom sub, set it to 40Hz and then set your pre-pro to 40Hz as well and see how you like it. One of the most memorable differences was the apartment shooting scene in LFODH. At 80Hz, the rat-tat-tats were thick, slow and rattled the whole house. At 40Hz, they were sharp, fast and we all felt them in the left butt cheek right through the leather couch.

And music's a completely different experience at 40Hz. The sub takes over right where the 80s leave off. Just make sure that you adjust the sub level to match the 80s at 40Hz (using a test tone CD). And if that doesn't sound quite right, don't be afraid to nudge the LFE channel gain up or down.

When you set all your speakers to SMALL what does this mean in frequencies as compared to setting them to large? I know that by setting them to large they are getting the full range. But what happens when you set them to small, what is the cut-off frequency? The reason I ask is because the LFE frequency goes up to 120. So if you were to set your x-over to 80 then I could see where the frequencies between 80 and 120 could "possibly" get lost even though the rest of the speakers are capable of playing down to 80. Again if they are set to small, at what frequency does the processor cut off the low end?

Now by setting the x-0ver to 40 you could theoretically be losing everything between 40 and 120 depending on where the processor cuts off the low end when the speakers are set to small.

Am I making any sense at all?

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"