Originally Posted By: jakeman
If you have the sub connected through the sub out jack on the receiver and sub is on in the receiver menu, the sub is getting the full LFE signal but you have chosen to filter it out at the sub for sound above 40hz. On Dolby digital tracks you will get that part of the LFE signal on the mains so you are OK and not losing any information.

Really? You mean the 0.1 LFE that doesn't go to the sub gets routed to the mains? That doesn't seem right, does it?

In a conventional setup you would bypass the sub filter to get the full LFE to the sub but you said it creates too many room issues for you doing it this way. Where you may lose LFE information is on DTS track though I'm less certain about that.

Apparently DTS is encoded the same way as DD as far as LFE goes.

It seems to me now that the "unusual" large + sub setting, (which I never use because I'm trying to keep artifacts to a minimum), would be ideal for you if you are going to use both the receiver and sub filters. That way you don't lose any information because of the way you have engaged the additional crossover at the sub.

Yes, that would probably work well for movies. I'll have to try it.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated