With my tax return coming I'm seriously thinking of getting a new receiver--I need something with HDMI connectivity. I've narrowed it down to two choices--Denon 2808CI and the Onkyo SR875. Right now, they are roughly the same price at Onecall.

I've kinda had my heart set on a Denon mainly because of the nice reviews here. The new GUI looks very appealing to me.

One of the things that draws me to the Onkyo is it's HQV (high quality video) processing, but I'm not sure if it's something I need. Is the HQV mainly for upconverting the signal? From what I've read it sounds like the Onkyo will upconvert any incoming signal and output to 1080p.

My plan is to hook up the following via HDMI--Toshiba XA2, Xbox 360, and a PS3. I also have a DirecTV HD box, but it's not that important for me to incorporate it into my HT set up. Pretty much all those sources will be feeding a 1080p signal into the receiver. I'm not quite sure what the Denon or Onkyo will do with those--do they pass the video signal straight through to the TV while handling the audio portion? Or, does it do any kind of processing to the video before sending it on?

Besides the extra inputs the Onkyo has, the video processing and slightly more flexible bass management options are the two main selling points over the Denon. I just don't know how much benefit, if any, I'll get from the HQV portion.

Power's not really an issue as I use an external amp to power my front speakers. I know the 3808CI is probably closer to the Onkyo SR875, but I can't swing the extra cost at this point.

Hmm, decisions decisions. . .

If anyone has input I'd greatly appreciate it!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose