The Onkyo’s just have too many issues for me to consider them. I looked at them real close and they do have some very nice features (on paper anyway), but the amount of user problems persuaded me to look elsewhere. I am enjoying the 3808 and recommend it without reservations. It is the first AVR I’ve owned that has not given my ANY problems. The dam thing just works. The GUI is a wonder to behold and this silly thing has more options and features that I find every day, that I just don’t know what all it will do. The manual sucks, as with all Denons.

As I am prone to upgrading things from time to time, I will be buying something different, most likely fourth quarter. Whatever I buy will have to out do the 3808 and that will be a difficult task. The only thing I’m seriously considering right now is the S/N 972. The 972 looks as if it will dethrone the 3808. S/N is also coming out with a Pre/Pro that will have the same functionality as the 972, but more, without amps.

Reon is overrated. I wouldn’t worry about the Denon not having it. You will be hard pressed to tell a difference in SD video up conversion between the 875 and 3808. HD/BR is almost impossible to improve upon, so that’s not a concern.

THX Ultra II would be nice to have, but not necessary.

If you are really interested in getting top notch SD up-conversion, buy the Denon 5308CI with the Realta.

I bought my 3808 from Sixth Ave too.