Two things to help you compare. Make sure you read this very recent review if you have not already (January of 2008). If you haven't read Art's reviews, he's a very well-respected reviewer of HT projectors. Of course, everyone has his own opinion, so read the various reviews and see what you think.

Art's Projector Review - Epson 1080 UB

Excerpt...
 Quote:
HC1080UB vs. Sanyo PLV-Z2000

I know I didn't comment much about the Z2000 in the rest of the review, but it is a projector to be reckoned with. If anything, its image is slightly sharper than the Epson, and it does a very respectable job, overall, although the Epson has much better black level performance. I really liked the Z2000 when I reviewed it, and with it, you get an overall excellent picture, at a price well below the Epson - at this time, probably about $600 or so less, and that works out to about 25% less.

Keep in mind that the Epson is especially bright, and the Sanyo less than average in brightness. In fact in brightest mode, the Epson is almost 3 times as bright. Like the Epson, the Sanyo does not support an anamorphic lens.

If you've got the bucks, you'll get more bang from them with the Epson.

The review also includes comparison of the 1080UB against the Optoma models mentioned in Alan's response.

I've cut out some of the stuff below to keep this shorter, use the link above if you want to read it all.

Quote:
HC1080UB vs. Optoma HD80, HD8000, HD81, HD81-LV

Optoma dominates the 1080p DLP space, at least in terms of projectors widely available. And these Optomas are not all alike, but they share many of the same picture quality attributes.

All the Optoma's have very limited zoom lenses, and no lens shift. That puts you pretty much into two choices - ceiling mounting, or on a table. Since they aren't especially quiet, and we're talking 1080p projectors here, I'll assume you are ceiling mounting. The Epson of course can go just about anywhere, so, no contest, in terms of placement flexibility.

The Optoma's typically need serious tuning out of the box - but then, you've read my reservations about this Epson as well. it's just that a simple adjustment gets the Epson very good in most modes. You'll normally need a calibration disc to do the same for any of the Optomas.

OK, let's get serious here. In my opinion, the Epson equals or beats all of the Optoma projectos in terms of black levels, and shadow detail (remember - I'm not doing side-by-sides). The more expensive Optoma's at least, however, the HD81 and HD81-LV are at least as sharp.

The entry level HD80, however, like the Sanyo, is significantly less expensive. I believe the Epson is the better value, but the HD80 will definitely appeal to those who like the DLP look, and have a limited budget.

Second, if you go with the Epson, check this post on AVS for a $200 rebate that is availabl for the 1080UB. It lessens the price gap a bit further.

AVS Forum - Epson Rebate

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry