Originally Posted By: Murph
Thanks folks,
Been away for a few days so just coming back and reading the great discussion. Thanks for the hint on Quebec Acoustics. I gave them a call and I got a very good impression from them. I was mainly asking about the Panasonic but asked about the Epson as well. They were offering the $300 rebate but not the extra bulb. I find that odd as usually manufacturer direct outlets try to never undersell their resellers.

The Epson UB model seems the way to go but if I get the regular 1080, it is still a great projector and I might have some money left to invest in a new couch/seating. Otherwise I'll be sitting in a very uncomfortable old couch for 1st row and second row will have to come later.

As I understand it the $300 and free bulb are a mail in rebate direct from Epson. You'd pay full price up front, send in the coupon, UPC etc, and they'd send you the rebate check and bulb later. If the dealer is just giving you the $300 off the top then it's a different deal (not sure what they'd be doing with the "coupon").

As with computer systems, the vitally important yet often overlooked component is seating. If you are uncomfortable it doesn't matter how nice the picture is, you'll be unhappy. A nicer couch with a marginally "inferior" projector will garner more satisfaction.

Not much I can say about screens. I'm still using the generic white wall in the living room. Still quite satisfied with the picture, although I imagine I'll be using a proper screen whenever I upgrade to HD.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.