Originally Posted By: rmk1
Adding a more powerful amp and two new surround speakers (5.1 to 7.1) made running Audyssey again necessary as I wanted to use the EQ feature of my Integra 9.8to set the levels and distance of the new speakers. Honestly, I don't miss the Audyssey EQ but would like an explanation.

Hello all,

I just chatted with Tom Cumberland at Axiom about the issues with running Audyssey and the A1400-8, and here, slightly modified, is his explanation of what is happening, which confirms my own gut suspicions about what is occurring:

"The way Audyssey sets up the system is to increase the volume level to the amp until it ‘hears’ something. With an amp as powerful as the A-1400, this is a very dangerous approach. If the amp ‘sees’ more than 2.0 VRMS on the input (1.5VRMS is the standard for full power output of the A1400-8), it will more than likely do some damage somewhere. We believe that if the customer uses the manual setup to adjust the levels, he is unlikely to do any damage to either his speakers or the amplifier. The A-1400 is designed to follow the standard with a 1.5VRMS input producing full power output, and 1.7VRMS input as the clipping point. As you can see by the numbers, a little bit more input to the A1400 translates to a really big change in the amplifier's output. This is true for all very high powered amplifiers, ours included."

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)