Originally Posted By: JonHan
According to my Denon-1905 manual:
_ "LFE+Main" is only valid when SUB=YES and FRONT=LARGE.

Jonhan I will have to double check but I am 99% sure that my bass sounded much different when set to small and LFE+main then small and LFE.

If it is only valid when fronts are set to large then why is there an option to do it in the first place, and furthermore why does it sound different?

Anyway, in the 3808 manual under subwoofer mode it says "select low range signal to be reproduced by subwoofer" and you can select [LFE] or [LFE+main]

it says select 'LFE+main" if you want the bass signals to always be produced from the subwoofer.

it also mentions that you can only apply a crossover to a small speaker, unless you have the sub set to LFE+main and then you can apply crossovers to large speakers.

I understand the LFE+main with speakers set to large is essentially like a crossover that does not remove the 'crossed-over' frequencies from the mains- essentially doubling the bass throughout a certain frequency range. Maybe it does not double the bass but it allows it to be played from multiple places- the mains and the sub... kind of like having multiple subs- one of which can not play very low.

I guess I am still unlcear what happens when you use the LFE+main setting when all speakers are set to small, and what the difference is when using this setting for music that is only 2 channel in the first place. I think part of my confusion is what exactly does this setting do to the LFE channel, and what exactly does it do to frequencies below the crossover point on small speakers.

-David