Originally Posted By: fredk

3. Checked that. It seems to only send over one output at a time, but I can switch manually and it works switching between HDMI and analog out.

You can’t switch to “digital?” In VISTA it should be under Start>Control Panel>Sound; in XP Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio. Should say something like “Realtek Digital Output” If it’s not there then either you have the wrong or bad drivers (check both Windows Update and Realtek) or a bad/disconnected optical output. There shouldn’t be a cable for onboard digital but double check that if there is that it’s connected. Also try disconnecting the HDMI cable and just run VGA to a regular monitor to see if that allows optical output to your receiver.

If you don’t see the option for “Digital Audio” or can’t select it then this is likely the source of your problem.

5. Tried with a movie as well. I don't have any cables handy to connect from the receiver to the display (am using HDMI to sent video directly to the display, which may be another Rats nest).

If in the Realtek settings you are telling it to send PCM that’s what it’s trying to send. PCM is the source of most problems I’ve encountered so make sure you told the Realtek software and Windows if necessary to send AC3 or something else other than PCM. In Realtek select “Output digital audio source” and start with the lowest sampling rate.

7. I thought about this, but its a special order and may end up as 'good money chasing bad'

True but eventually you are going to want digital rather than analog and if nothing else works it’s likely cheaper than a new soundcard, receiver (unless you are upgrading now) or motherboard. Also for some reason I’ve seen fewer problems with digital coax connections than with optical, no idea why.

8. Could order a sound card, but $100 gets me the next gen AMD2+ mobo

True but it’s still onboard audio which always seems more finicky than a dedicated soundcard for anything but analog. If you do go this route try to make sure it has a digital coax as these seem less troublesome than optical.

There are a lot of options here with no guarantee of success. Since I didn't buy the receiver new from a local B&M I can't take it anywhere easily to test the inputs

You are in a troubleshooting nightmare right now because you have no know good components. You really need to “bracket” the problem (e.g. is the PC sending digital, is the cable transmitting it, can the receiver read it. Without knowing what works there is no way to know what to tweak, fix or replace.

If you don’t have a friend who’s house you can take the PC to and hook it up, you could try taking the PC to a shop and ask them to troubleshoot it. If it works for them you know for sure it’s something with the receiver, or they may figure out why the PC isn’t sending. It will cost but may in the long run be cheaper than randomly replacing components.

I swear that the people that design these things and write the manuals have no clue how they are going to be used. I think Gigabyte and AMD tried hard on this board, and they came really close, but the didn't close the 'last mile' gap.

Now you just need to add a Denon to the mix cause their manuals are just awesome.

Lastly, unless you have reason to suspect your receiver hardware or setup the most likely issue is the PC especially if it’s DIY. Receivers have few user defined variables whereas DIY PCs are chalk full of them.

Tom, Fred thanks for the complements. I troubleshoot airplanes for a living …very similar to your vaporators in most respects.

Cheers,
Dean

P.S. One last thing. Start simple. Concentrate on getting Windows sounds like kcarlile said then use the Realtek test tones to work before using a DVD, CD or audio file.

Last edited by grunt; 06/02/08 06:11 PM. Reason: one more thought

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1