Quote:
You can’t switch to “digital?”

I didn't explain very well. I can switch between all 3, but only get sound from the two mentioned. The digital out shows up as soon as I plug the optical cable in and is selectable. Will try the VGA out thing.

Realtek dosn't allow me to select PCM, only a digital connector. I don't know what else you would sent out over an optical connection.

Once Bluray becomes affordable, I will go digital via end to end HDMI (and a new receiver). As I wrote earlier, this was a cheap short term solution.

The only reason to suspect the receiver is that it was a non-warrantied purchase with a simple 48 hour return window.

I won't buy another piece of hardware without knowing in advance that it works for what I want. There are enough people out there that want to do what I am attempting that someone is going to get it right soon.

Quote:
troubleshooting nightmare

Yes.

Taking the PC into a shop may be the easiest thing to do. I can probably convince someone at BB to hook it up to optical in on one of their display receivers for a test.

Quote:
…very similar to your vaporators in most respects.

Thats scary. I shure hope the operating instructions are a little better than those of your average consumer electronics. "Pushing the this lever makes the engines go faster. Pushin this lever makes the flaps go up and down..." \:o

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!