After dishing out advice here left and right, I just about made myself totally NUTS tonight after rerunning Audyssey in my own room.

I followed the steps in the document, took readings from 8 listening positions, etc, and then popped in the Dave Matthews Band Blu-Ray which is one of my favorites.

I started with Audyssey on and immediately found that it sounded awful (literally awful, not just bad). So, then I turned Audyssey off, and to my chagrin, it sounded exactly the same. Ack! So, I went back, checked crossover settings (again), speaker sizes (again), binding posts, everything I could think of. I even unplugged and replugged both the Denon & the PS3.

All to no avail... Here's where I skip a lot of cursing and additional screwing around and cut to the solution.

Last night, I watched a movie on the PS3 but did not have the remote control (my wife was using the URC in the next room), so all I had was the PS3 controller. Using a menu in DVD playback in the PS3, you can turn the volume up and down through the PS3 (-2 through +2). Well, I had it up to +2 from the night before and didn't realize what an _awful_ (again that word) effect it has on the overall sound. Once I finally found out what was wrong, I turned it down to the original 0 setting and decided I'd had enough screwing around for one night.

I'm going to bed and will compare Audyssey on and off in the morning when I've recovered. \:\) Right now I still feel like I'm hearing the harshness from the pre-correction listening and I need to get it out of my head.

It was a truly scary 60 minutes while I couldn't get anything but totally crappy sound to come out of my Epic 80 setup! \:o

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry